We are very familiar with Zawgyi too long. But now is the time to move, use 100% Unicode fonts. It is not very easy for every one, to convert all our – documents, files, web pages, blog posts and database – writing in Zawgyi to 100% Unicode character fonts (Myanmar3, Padauk, Parabaik etc). In this article, I will share my experience and conversion processes. This article is divided into two parts. One for normal users, whose without knowledge of – database and server management. The other one is for expert users, whose have database and server management experience.
A. Simple Conversion Method
In this method, we are going to convert post by post basic. The process is …
- Download KaNaungConverter_Window_Build200508.zip from the Kanaung project page and Unzip http://code.google.com/p/kanaung/downloads/list
- Run the KaNaung.exe and start the conversion for individual posts.
- Re-Publish the posts.
In summary, this method is very easy. The only problem is – we need to use too much time. But it is very safe way. We don’t need any expert knowledge in the conversion process. This method is suitable for most users.
B. Database Conversion Method
In this method, we are going to convert from the database level. The process is …
- Dump the table (e.g – posts table from a WordPress database, node_review table from a Drupal database) or the whole database in SQL, TXT or XML format.
- Use one of the converter from the converter list below, to convert your file from Zawgyi to Unicode encoding.
- Import back to the original table.
Look very easy, right? But there are some risks, problems and limitations in this method.
Problems & Limitations with PHP Settings
The PHP settings of most shared hosting are difficult to change for every website owner. This is the major problem. By default the “ max_input_time” and “ max_execution_time” are about “ 60” seconds in php.ini file of most shared hostings. If our database files are very large and the internet connection is too slow, our import process is difficult to success.
In summary, this method is more faster than the first one. However we need
- Database Knowledge
- Faster Internet Connection
- Changing the php.ini settings (if required)
. And also it is a High Risk Process.
As a best practise, you should try (or practise) more than three times in your local development environment (localhost/phpmyadmin) before you change anything on your live web server.
- Kanaung Converter – Download KaNaungConverter_Window_Build200508.zip
- Myanmar NLP Unicode Converter – Download Myanmar NLP Unicode Cnverter
- ThanLwinSoft ConverterDownload ThanLwinSoft DocCharConvert-1.3.0.exe
Do you know other converters? Please give a comment for the download link. We will update the list later. Thank you for your support to the community.
We can Help & Support
Still got problem? We are ready to help & Support in your Unicode Conversion Process. Feel free to Contact us or leave a comment. Want to know more useful tips (like this) easily and automatically? Subscribe our RSS Feed. Moreover, you also can read from your email too.
This is a cross post from mmshare.org. I just change the links and website names only.